Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Loving This!

I'm not sure I've said this or not...but I am LOVING this fieldwork experience!
I've been doing more treatment sessions this week.  Along with continuing treatment with the patients from last week, I've conducted sessions for a few other kiddos, mostly with Autism. Some of the sessions have been better than others, though "challenging" is probably the best word to describe how I feel about these sessions.  You make all these wonderful plans for the treatment session, and then the patient is having an off day so your plans go awry.  I guess if I've learned anything in the last few days, it's that my teachers were right when they said we will have to think on the fly!

As stated last week, I've been working on my catching/throwing and balloon hitting skills. It's turned into a bit of a joke with the staff at my clinic that I'm being graded on these skills so I really do need to work on them! This morning was an opportune time to do this very thing.  I saw a patient with Ehler's Danlos Syndrome (EDS) (super interesting diagnosis that I already know a ton about thanks to my old roommate who also has this somewhat rare condition).  He was full of energy so we played bowling, then basketball, followed by baseball.  He wore me out, but I had so much fun!

An update on my shoulder in regards to treating the 22 year old that has CP--I've done much better this week with finding better ways to help support him so that I am not injuring myself.  So, thankfully my shoulder is no longer in so much pain.  So that's the good news of the week! I think I'll end on that positive note!

No comments:

Post a Comment